I'll be honest, eggplant isn't my favorite veggie. However I fell in love with this recipe a few years back and it totally changed my mind about eggplant. And really, who doesn't love pizza. The original recipe I found on The Pioneer Woman blog.
You'll need to either buy frozen pizza dough, make some from scratch, or use naan or english muffins as the crust.
- 1-2 eggplants
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- fresh mozzarella or goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt & pepper
- whatever other toppings you'd like: cherry tomatoes, peppers, basil, go nuts!
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Slice the eggplant thinly. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and place into a strainer in the sink. Allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant lightly in cold water, then pat the slices dry between layers of paper towels.
- Cut eggplant slices into fourths, and toss with olive oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and place 8 inches under the broiler.
- Broil for 3 minutes, then toss around and broil another 3 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add garlic (add in cherry tomatoes here if using). Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove and set aside. (May do this 1 hour in advance.)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Lightly drizzle a little olive oil on the dough (if using) and use fingers to spread. Lay mozzarella slices over the surface of the dough. Spread vegetables all over the surface of the cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from pan and slice with a pizza cutter. Serve immediately!